Monday, April 27, 2009

Welcome Home, Elder and Sister Merkley

My parents are home from their latest (and greatest?) mission. Yipeeeee!! I know they were only gone for 12 months, and we had a chance to see them in July, but still. . . .


In honor of their return, here's my top 10 list of things I missed while they were away:

10-Meeting with the siblings at Mom and Dad's house. It's amazing how much more time we spend together when we have a central meeting spot. We're not lazy, we're gas-consumption-conscious.

9-Sunday dinners. We got used to taking care of it ourselves, but there's no substitute for good dinner-table conversation. And you don't get that with children under eight.

8-Getting out of the house during the day. Whoo-hoo!

7-Talking to Mom for no reason at all. We survived the adolescent "I can't stand you!" years, and are now entrenched in the "Wow, you're my amazing best friend!" stage.

6-The swimming pool. Not for me--I haven't donned a suit in years, but my children love it mucho!

5-Dad's projects. All power tools, all the time.

4-Arguments. The good kind, obviously. Because we're Merkleys and nothing is as much fun as a totally meaningless, knock-down, drag-out, in your face argument on something truly inconsequential just for the sheer pleasure of exercising one's wits. Stimulating and fun.

3-Discussions that do not revolve around whether or not the kids' schedules need to be altered or whose underwear is currently stinking up the laundry room.

2-The air-conditioning. I'm cheap, that's just a given, so the comfort factor in my house during the summer is not significant. But my mom is a wonderful, generous person, who likes her home much cooler than mine and does not mind enriching the power company. Where would YOU choose to spend time if you were me?

1-Mom and Dad. I'm not ready to be an orphan, even a temporary, religious-duty-created one, so stick around for a while, please!

Welcome home!

No comments:

Post a Comment