Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Venting my spleen--whatever that really means

Two days ago I described my various traumas with sewing machines. Today it's the serger's turn.

The email I sent to the manufacturer says it all--well, most of it all. Before I sent it off, I did some heavy editing to remove the swearing and the references to irregular parentage. (Yes, this is the real email--although I was gibbering and foaming at the mouth so badly that I misspelled several words. I doubt they noticed.)

I have waited several years to purchase a serger. I sew frequently, and at a proficient level. I have a degree in clothing and textiles. I am not a novice. With those facts in mind, please consider that my opinions on your product are not those of a neophyte or an unskilled individual.

I am extremely disappointed in this serger. I purchased it with the expectation that it would make my sewing easier and more enjoyable. It has created quite the opposite result. This serger has brought my sewing process to a grinding halt. Any serger which requires one hour of rethreading and testing before sewing a two-inch seam is not worth the trouble of taking it out of the box. I have spent approximately four hours sewing with this serger and sixteen hours rethreading it. Keep in mind that I have used sergers in the past. This is not my first time using this type of machine. I have read and reread the manual. I have followed every step and hint given in the manual (despite writing and illustrations that are complete rubbish and of no help whatsoever), and the machine refuses to stay threaded. It is unreliable, inconsistent, and frustrating beyond belief to use.

Please inform you engineers that they are incompetent.

Sincerely,
A former customer

3 comments:

  1. So, will they take it back? Can you get a different one? My friend, a costume designer, has a GREAT one, I could ask him where he got it. I'm super sorry that yours sucks and is giving you so much trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine has been in it's box for years. I have threaded it and rethreaded it and it still won't chain. I wish I felt this good about my sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang... I am sure that this is NOT a user issue!

    ReplyDelete