Friday, May 8, 2009

Lemons into lemonade . . . sort of

Announcement: I'm cheap.


How cheap? you ask. (Haven't you learned not to do that? It only stirs up all sorts of problems, and usually begins another rambling rant from yours truly. So stop doing it! We'll get through this a lot faster if you just sit there quietly and nod your head at appropriate intervals. Like now. Go ahead and nod. Good.)


Very cheap. Oh--you want examples? I warn you, what you're about to read may not be appropriate for all ages, especially those ages who prefer to think money grows on trees. Okay, here goes.


I'm so cheap I:


  • made most of my first son's baby and toddler clothes. From remnants. Which were bought with coupons.

  • occasionally make my own laundry detergent.

  • eliminated the dishwasher from our kitchen ON PURPOSE .

  • endure the heat until it gets to 100 degrees.

  • asked my husband to give me a used engagement ring. (He did. What a sweetheart!)


So you can understand my absolute frustration when perfectly lovely potatoes head south and start developing appendages. ARRRRRRRRRGH! I hate it when that happens! I spent a whole $1.75 for those things, and they do this in return. Ingrates.


Here's the romantic part of the story: my sweet husband, party to and enabler of my insanity, took the latest batch of tentacled taters, cut them up, and planted them. Isn't he dreamy?


Two months later, guess what we found lurking under one of those leafy things behind the garage:


So, it isn't lemonade, but it'll make pretty fabulous potato salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment